Monday 22 April 2013

***REVIEW*** Hear Through My Ears by Tara Chevrestt

Hear Through My Ears is a motivational story of a young woman, Tara, who faces the challenges of growing up "hearing impaired" in a hearing world. Follow her stories as she recounts everything from childhood bullies to work related restrictions and funny misunderstandings from mispronounced words to fear of Federal Air Marshals. In this tale, straight from the heart, hear through her ears and find out what it's like to face adversity and rise above it.

I received a copy of the this as a gift from Tara, I was really looking forward to reading it.

This book concentrates on stories from Taras past, things and people she's unfortunately had to encounter in her life, and others she had been fortunate to meet.

There was one story which got me, in a good way, and that was the man in the store who came up to Taras father with a piece of paper explaining 'I am deaf. I am looking for (name of item). Can you help me?' Such a brave thing, and Tara explains how she has always remembered the braveness of this man, to ask a total stranger for help like this, when he could have asked a store assistant.

A Story which riled me, and really got my goat, was Mr Flamboyant Sprayer, the manager at the store Tara got a job at. I couldn't believe when reading it, that he would stoop so low as to move Tara into the basement just because she couldn't answer the telephone!

The discrimination people endure is unreal, in this day and age, all disabilities should be made aware of, no one should be made fun of. I understand this. My 2 children are Autistic, and the looks, and yes unfortunately some of the comments, we've had are disgusting. I'm not talking about the general population here, there is always going to be someone who looks over while my child is having one of his major meltdowns, and they will probably smile a sympathetic smile, thinking he is just being a normal toddler, kicking off because he isn't getting the chocolate bar he wants. This, with me, is fine. People can't see my childrens disabilities. But the couple of men who pointed at us and laughed that day when my child was extremely upset due to sensory issues in a store, there is absolutely no need for people like that. Or the lady in a certain baby shop, who told us that the pushchair was safe, and even though my child could touch the floor whilst strapped in (as the straps were pretty much crap), told us it was my childs fault for being unreasonable, and not sitting still in the pushchair, therefore she must have a behaviour problem! I was furious!

So reading this book, and being there with Tara as she recounts the bad and the good stories of her past, all to do with her hearing loss, I was moved. I hope things have changed now, and people and places are more accommodating to the non-hearing community, and that people will read her story, and realise she can do anything just as well as anyone else!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts! Or just say hi!

Sorry about the Capatcha! I hate it too, but too much spam lately!