Wednesday 7 November 2012

Innocent Foxes by Torey Hayden

Abundance, Montana, once a lively mining town in the days of the wild west, is now not much more than a ghost town. Local girl, Dixie, a struggling single mother who has just lost her baby, tries to make ends meet while her feckless boyfriend Billy drifts from one job to another, always believing his next moneymaking scheme will be the winner. Above them in the magnificent mountains surrounding Abundance, jaded Hollywood actor Spencer Scott conceals himself from the paparazzi on the ranch that has been his pristine sanctuary until the arrival of his obnoxious, nine-year-old son. Then Billy puts into motion a plan almost too appalling to contemplate, and from which there is no escape. As all four are forced to confront the brutal reality of the Montana mountains, so too are they forced to face their damaged lives in this poignant new novel



I was pleasantly surprised by this book.

I have been a big Tory Hayden fan for a long time and have read all of her other books, her 2 other Novels were big favorites of mine. But since Tory hadn't released anything fora while, I was a little skeptical, even more so when I saw the cover. Torey's name is splayed across the front cover in massive letters, whilst the books name is underneath in small writing. This made me worry she was having to get her name so big on there to get people interested in the book.

But....

I actually really enjoyed this! Took a while to get through it at first as i was busy reading other stuff, but once I picked this up properly, I loved every minute of it.

I loved the relationship between Dixie and Tennessee (or 'Joker' as she calls him), you could tell she wanted to take care of him and try her damned hardest to keep him safe. Billy was an ass, I would have killed him long ago if I was Dixie!

The bit I particularity likes was the scene between Spencer and Guff in the forest. If you've read it you'll know what bit I mean. The conversation was beautiful, the apologies and the love you felt between the 2 were great. This was my favorite bit of the book.

All in all this was another great book from Ms Hayden!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts! Or just say hi!

Sorry about the Capatcha! I hate it too, but too much spam lately!